Note: BSA is retiring this adventure on May 31, 2022.
Beat of the Drum is one of the Bear elective adventures. For the Beat of the Drum adventure, Bears learn about native American culture.
Cub Scouts learn about the history of the First Americans and make a craft related to them, such as a dream catcher or drum. They also attend an event presented by indigenous people or learn about their dances and ceremonies.
Bear Elective Adventure: Beat of the Drum
Click to open the requirements for Bear Adventure: Beat of the Drum
Complete requirement 1 plus two others from requirements 2–4. Note: BSA is retiring this adventure on May 31, 2022.
1. Learn about the history and culture of American Indians or other indigenous people who lived in your area long ago
2. Create a legend by building a diorama, writing a story, or presenting a skit.
3. Complete one of the following:
3A. Make a dream catcher.
3B. Make a craft similar to one made by American Indians or indigenous people.
3C. Make a drum. Once your drum is complete, create a ceremonial song
4. Complete one of the following:
4A. Visit an Order of the Arrow dance ceremony.
4B. Visit an American Indian event or an event presented by other indigenous people
4C. Learn and demonstrate ceremonial dance steps.
4D. Create a ceremonial dance.
Printable Check Off Sheets and Note Sheets
Other helps for this Bear adventure
- Bear Adventures Checkoff Sheet
- Welcome New Den Leaders
- BSA Safety
- Scout Moms, Dads, and Leaders Facebook group
Learn and experience more with these related ideas and achievements: