Morse Code Interpreter Strip
- Secret Codes: 3 Fun Codes to Try
- Interpreter Strips Requirements and Helps
- Code of the Wolf Adventure
- Signs, Signals, and Codes Merit Badge
- International Spirit Award for Scouts BSA
About the Morse Code Interpreter Strip
The Boy Scouts of America offers a special Morse Code interpreter strip for any youth or adult who demonstrates proficiency in Morse Code. The strip may be worn on the uniform.
The requirements are pretty simple and just require some practice:
- Carry on a five-minute conversation in Morse Code at a speed of at least five words per minute.
- Copy correctly a two-minute message sent in Morse Code at a minimum of five words per minute. Copying means writing the message down as it is received.
- Send a 25-word written document in Morse Code at a minimum of five words per minute.
Did You Know…
January 11 is Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day. That would be a good day to earn this special emblem.
Learn even more with these related helps and achievements:
Having a secret code can be fun. There are several simple methods of coding communication so that only those who know the “secret” know what is being said.
An interpreter strip shows which languages a Scout is familiar with. It is worn above the “Boy Scouts of America” strip on the uniform. This emblem can be worn by Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, or adults.
Wolf Cub Scouts learn about numbers, measuring, shapes, and math for the Code of the Wolf adventure. They also get to try sending a message using code.
Scouts working on the Signs, Signals, and Codes merit badge will learn about various methods of communications, including distress signals, Morse code, sign language, braille, and semaphore.
The International Spirit Award recognizes Scouts who learn more about Scouting around the world. By doing the requirements for this award, members of Scouts BSA learn to appreciate different cultures. Earning an interpreter strip is one of the requirements for this award.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?