BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Soccer program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Soccer program feature helps Scouts learn how to enjoy the world’s most popular sport. While doing this, they learn about fitness, teamwork, and fun. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- The rules of soccer
- Player positions
- Soccer techniques
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Introduce the rules of soccer (essential)
- Learn about passing and receiving (challenging)
- Become familiar with the equipment (challenging)
- Learn about the requirements for the field (advanced)
- Learn about throw-ins (advanced)
- Practice passing and receiving(essential)
- Practice throw-ins also (challenging)
- Learn to receive a ball in flight (advanced)
- Practice basic goalkeeping skills (essential)
- Practice kicking a ball in (advanced)
- Learn how to dive and save safely (advanced)
- Learn about goal kicks and corner kicks (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings.
- Dribble the Ball Relay
- Team Captain
- Throw-In for Accuracy
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Play small sided games to practice and improve skills (essential)
- Participate in a soccer tournament (challenging)
- Put on a soccer festival (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Soccer Troop Program Feature below.