If you are having a soccer themed meeting or a sports themed meeting, you can let the scouts do a simple soccer drill during the gathering time. When my den meetings were immediately after school, I often did a physical activity during the gathering time. The Scouts needed to run around and burn off a little energy before they were ready to concentrate on the den activities.
Soccer tennis is an easy game to set up and play for a few minutes. Here is my modified version of the rules:
- soccer ball
- poles or chairs or something to support both ends of the rope – existing poles for volleyball or badminton could be used
- Specify a playing area which is about the size of a tennis court
- Bisect the area with a rope about 1 meter high across the center. (You can tie it to a couple of poles or even the tops of a couple of chairs. Whatever works for you. It just has to be a little off the ground.)
- Each team can kick or head the ball three times among its own players and then must play it over the rope into the other team’s half.
- The ball can bounce only once between passes or headers.
- When one team makes a mistake, the other team gets a point.