BSA is starting to provide supplemental themes based Pack meeting plans for each month’s core value. The core value for the month of January is Positive Attitude. A January supplemental meeting plan theme called Abracadabra has recently been posted to the BSA website. For more ideas for use with this theme, see my Abracadabra Program Theme for Cub Scouts page.
The core value should still be the focus for the month, but the new theme based Pack meetings provide a new ways to present the ideas. Here is how the BSA plan suggests tying together this magic program theme with January’s core value of Positive Attitude.
Having a positive attitude means that we think about the good and not the negative things we do or face in our lives. While learning magic tricks and puzzles, it can be frustrating, especially when we don’t get the trick or puzzle figured out right away. That negative “I can’t do it” may come more easily to us than trying again with an “I-think-I-can” positive attitude. That “I think I can” just might quickly turn into “I can!”
This meeting plan includes the following – all within a magic theme. See the meeting plan for details.
- Gathering activities - Card Houses, Balanced Coin, Balanced Glass, Super-Strength Napkin, Disappearing Water, Balancing Sugar Cubes, and Optical Illusions for Kids
- Opening ceremony - The Magic of America
- Applauses, cheers, and run-ons - The Magic Word, Alakazam, Abracadabra, Magician’s Bow, Magic Yell, Disappearing Rabbit, Magician Applause, Magic Hand Applause, Handkerchief Cheer, Magic Cheer, Magicians Cheer, and Magic “Tricks” Run Ons
- Amazing Three-In-One Song
- Recognition ceremony - The Surprised Magician
- Closing - Without U
- Cubmaster Minute