About Snowball Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes
These are a family recipe. As kids we called them “snowball cookies” because that is what they look like – small ball shaped cookies rolled in powdered sugar. My mom always called them Russian tea cakes. Either way they are delicious. Get your Cub Scouts to help with forming the balls of dough and rolling the warm cookies in powdered sugar.
These go well with a Winter Wonderland theme for your program.
Snowball Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups very finely chopped nuts (we like pecans)
- Additional powdered sugar
- Mix the butter, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix in the nuts.
- Chill the dough for about 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough in one inch balls.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until set but not brown.
- While still warm, roll in additional powdered sugar.
- Roll in powdered sugar again.