My kids always enjoyed making holiday treats. To them, if it has a special shape, that makes baking extra fun. So these candy cane cookies are a good Christmas treat to make with Cub Scouts. They don’t have a strong mint flavor, but are more like a sugar cookie.
Candy Cane Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375.
- Mix butter, shortening, sugar, egg, and flavorings.
- Sitr in flour and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add the red food coloring to one half of the dough.
- Using about 1 tsp of white dough, roll a 4 inch strip.
- Repeat with 1 tsp of the red dough.
- Place the strips side by side and twist together.
- Place on cookie sheet, curving it to make it look like a candy cane.
- Make more with the remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar and crushed candy. (optional)
- Bake for 9 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen.
More Holiday Baking Ideas
These powdered sugar covered shortcakes are also called Russian Tea Cakes.
These easy cut-out cookies only require three ingredients: flour, butter, and sugar.