My kids always enjoyed making holiday treats. To them, if it has a special shape, that makes baking extra fun. So these candy cane cookies are a good Christmas treat to make with Cub Scouts. They don’t have a strong mint flavor, but are more like a sugar cookie.
Candy Cane Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375.
- Mix butter, shortening, sugar, egg, and flavorings.
- Sitr in flour and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add the red food coloring to one half of the dough.
- Using about 1 tsp of white dough, roll a 4 inch strip.
- Repeat with 1 tsp of the red dough.
- Place the strips side by side and twist together.
- Place on cookie sheet, curving it to make it look like a candy cane.
- Make more with the remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar and crushed candy. (optional)
- Bake for 9 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen.
More Holiday Baking Ideas
These powdered sugar covered shortcakes are also called Russian Tea Cakes.
Dad’s Favorite Star Cookies Recipe
These easy cut-out cookies only require three ingredients: flour, butter, and sugar.
St. Lucia Rolls Recipe
These sweet rolls are traditionally made on or around December 13.
Forgotten Meringue Cookies Recipe
Preheat the oven and turn it off. Then put these cookies in and they are ready the next morning.
Leave a Reply