What Is Caterpillar Race Game?
Caterpillar Race game is a fun active game for younger children.. They will have to work together to match their movements, so it teaches them teamwork and coordination.
In this game, children hold the ankles of the feet of the child in front of them. With several in line like this, they look like a caterpillar. Learning to move together might take a few tries.
This is a good “spur of the moment” game, because it doesn’t require any materials or preparations. You could use it to fill in the end of a meeting where they finish the activities sooner than you expected.
How to Play Caterpillar Race
How to play
- Divide the group into two teams.
- Have the first one in line bend down and place his hands on the ground. At least one hand must be touching the ground at all times during the race.
- The rest of the players reach down and grab the ankles of the person in front of them.
- Give them a signal to start.
- They must move together to come to some pre-determined end point.
- The first team to have all of its players pass the end point (while still attached) wins.
There should be some penalty if they detach during the race. You will need to consider the temperament of the group when deciding this. You could have them go pack to the start, pause for five seconds, or do something else to delay them.
Playing Games with Varying Skill Levels
One of the challenges in Cub Scouting is that the youngest children vary a lot in size and maturity from the older Cub Scouts. Here are some ideas for playing games together at Pack meetings and events.
More Games for Scouts
See more game ideas for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, and Venturers.
Activities for Energetic Cub Scouts
Learn how to pick games for a gym full of very active Cub Scouts!
Leave a Reply