BSA has created updated version of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Wildlife Management program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Wildlife Management program feature materials point out that keeping the natural balance needed to promote the well being of wildlife involves more than biology. A wide range of STEM disciplines are involved. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- What is the definition of wildlife?
- Do fish belong in the wildlife category?
- Why is it important to manage how humans and wildlife interact?
- What is the difference between active wildlife management and inactive wildlife management?
- How does the Endangered Species Act play a part in wildlife management?
- What is the role of hunting and fishing in wildlife management?
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Identify wildlife in your town and from other areas of the world (essential)
- Discuss how species interact (essential)
- Learn about wildlife habitats (challenging)
- Find out about agencies involved in wildlife management (advanced)
- Talk about how different species have different roles in the balance of nature (essential)
- Discuss how people impact the health of species (challenging)
- Discuss how wildlife management can solve problems related to human-wildlife conflict (advanced)
- Watch videos related to wildlife management (essential)
- Discuss careers in wildlife management (challenging)
- Review hunting regulations and safety precautions (advanced)
- Learn about endangered species (essential)
- Look up endangered species and find out about efforts to help them (challenging)
- Come up with some ways which Scouts in your troop can help endangered species (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Name that Fish
- Predator and Prey
- Wildlife Scat Candy Game
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Wildlife refuge or hatchery tour (essential)
- Overnight with a conservation or restoration service project (challenging)
- Overnight wildlife survey or research project (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Wildlife Management Troop Program Feature below.