Scouts working on the Sustainability merit badge learn to conserve energy at home and think about how their food, housing, and consumption choices impact society at large. They make a plan to use the Earth’s resources more wisely. They also learn how the Scout Law and the Scout Oath promote more sustainable communities.
Either Sustainability merit badge or Environmental Science merit badge is required for the rank of Eagle.
Here are some more ideas and related achievements to help with the Sustainability merit badge.
This troop program feature will help your youth leaders plan a month of meetings and an outing around an environment theme. Much of this will fit in well with the requirements for this merit badge.
This program feature also has many elements which are related to sustainability.
- Scouts BSA World Conservation Award
- Splash! Scouts BSA Nova Award (Science)
- Shoot! Scouts BSA Nova Award (Astronomy and Projectile Science)
- AAS Center for Science, Technology and Sustainability
- American Chemical Society Green Chemistry Institute
- American Forest and Paper Association
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Eartheasy Composting Guide
- Ecological Society of America
- EnviroLink Network
- Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA Water Topics
- Global Footprint Network
- Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- NASA Climate Kids
- The Nature Conservancy
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Society of American Foresters
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Design Competition
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- USDA Forest Service