Scouts working on the Wilderness Survival merit badge learn to anticipate and avoid the hazards involved in backcountry adventures. They put together a first aid kit and build a natural shelter. They also learn how to treat water, be aware of weather conditions, and light a fire without matches.
Wilderness Survival Merit Badge Requirements Requirements
Click to open the requirements for Wilderness Survival Merit Badge
1. Do the following:
1a. Explain to your counselor the hazards you are most likely to encounter while participating in wilderness survival activities, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, or lessen these hazards.
1b. Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur in backcountry settings, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, blisters, insect stings, tick bites, and snakebites.
2. From memory, list the seven priorities for survival in a backcountry or wilderness location. Explain the importance of each one with your counselor.
3. Discuss ways to avoid panic and maintain a high level of morale when lost, and explain why this is important.
4. Describe the steps you would take to survive in the following conditions:
4a. Cold and snowy
4b. Wet (forest)
4c. Hot and dry (desert)
4d. Windy (mountains or plains)
4e. Water (ocean, lake, or river)
5. Put together a personal survival kit and explain how each item in it could be useful.
6. Using three different methods (other than matches), build and light three fires.
7. Do the following:
7a. Show five different ways to attract attention when lost
7b. Demonstrate how to use a signal mirror
7c. Describe from memory five ground-to-air signals and tell what they mean
8. Improvise a natural shelter. For the purpose of this demonstration, use techniques that have little negative impact on the environment. Spend a night in your shelter.
9. Explain how to protect yourself from insects, reptiles, and bears.
10. Demonstrate three ways to treat water found in the outdoors to prepare it for drinking
11. Show that you know the proper clothing to wear in your area on an overnight in extremely hot weather and in extremely cold weather
12. Explain why it usually is not wise to eat edible wild plants or wildlife in a wilderness survival situation.
Printable Check Off Sheets and Note Sheets
Helps, Resources, and Ideas for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge
Be prepared for your wilderness adventure with these related ideas and achievements:
Top ideas for Wilderness Survival Merit Badge
Even more resources for Wilderness Survival Merit Badge
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?