One of the things scouts enjoy about camping is the independence of cooking their own food. Some scouts will want to cook the easiest, quickest things possible, but others like to cook “real” food.
This is a pretty heavy breakfast, but if the scouts have a full morning of activities ahead of them they usually appreciate a big meal in the morning. An it is simple enough that they can do it themselves without any interference from adults.
Mountain Man Breakfast Casserole
This is a hearty camp breakfast. Use your choice of meat or leave the meat out altogether for a vegetarian dish.
- Dutch oven
- 1 lb pork sausage – cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb bacon – cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb ham – diced
- 1 bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 12 eggs
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare meat as necessary.
- Grease the bottoms and sides of a deep camp Dutch oven.
- Spread hash browns in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl and pour evenly over hash browns.
- Sprinkle with meat and cheese.
Outdoor cooking instructions:
- Place about a dozen hot charcoal briquettes beneath the oven and about another eight on top.
- Cook until the eggs are set, about 20 – 30 minutes.
Indoor cooking instructions:
- Bake in a 350 oven until eggs are set, about 20 – 30 minutes.