One of the things scouts enjoy about camping is the independence of cooking their own food. Some scouts will want to cook the easiest, quickest things possible, but others like to cook “real” food.
This is a pretty heavy breakfast, but if the scouts have a full morning of activities ahead of them they usually appreciate a big meal in the morning. An it is simple enough that they can do it themselves without any interference from adults.
Mountain Man Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Mountain Man Breakfast is a hearty camp meal. Use your choice of meat or leave the meat out altogether for a vegetarian dish.
- Dutch oven
- 1 lb pork sausage – cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb bacon – cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb ham – diced
- 1 bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 12 eggs
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare meat as necessary.
- Grease the bottoms and sides of a deep camp Dutch oven.
- Spread hash browns in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl and pour evenly over hash browns.
- Sprinkle with meat and cheese.
Outdoor cooking instructions:
- Place about a dozen hot charcoal briquettes beneath the oven and about another eight on top.
- Cook until the eggs are set, about 20 – 30 minutes.
Indoor cooking instructions:
- Bake in a 350 oven until eggs are set, about 20 – 30 minutes.
See and hear a video version of this Mountain Man Breakfast recipe.
Related Resources for Mountain Man Breakfast
Dutch oven cooking is one of my favorite ways to make meals and desserts at camp. Put the ingredients in, put some charcoal on the top and bottom, come back later, and voila! you have a delicious dish.
This Dutch oven breakfast quiche is an easy camp breakfast recipe for those who enjoy some eggs in the morning. I really enjoy Dutch oven recipes at camp because you can put all of your ingredients in and relax while it cooks. And relaxing and enjoying the moment is part of what really makes camping great.
Scrambled eggs make a great camp breakfast. They are easy, quick, and provide a substantial meal for Scouts preparing for a busy day. But getting the eggs to camp is not always so easy.
One of the challenges of camp cooking is the amount of time it takes. Camp McMuffins recipe to the rescue! Here is an easy and quick recipe for a breakfast at camp. It doesn’t require a lot of preparation or ingredients, but you still get a good breakfast to start a busy day.