BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Fishing program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Fishing feature teaches Scouts helps Scouts appreciate the ups and downs of the sport of fishing. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- How to find places to fish
- What fishing gear and tackle you need
- How and when to set the hook
- How to land a fish
- How to remove a hook safely
- Fishing knots
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Discuss fishing basics (essential)
- Attempt the Fishing merit badge (essential)
- Use an open faces spinning outfit (challenging)
- Provide an opportunity to earn the Fly Fishing merit badge (advanced)
- Learn how to cast (essential)
- Learn the roll cast and the overhead cast (advanced)
- Learn five basic fishing knots (essential)
- Teach fishing knots to others using the EDGE method (challenging)
- Also learn fly fishing knots (advanced)
- Learn about fishing tackle (essential)
- Inspect fishing gear (challenging)
- Repair fishing gear (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Name that fish
- Fish identification challenge
- Casting accuracy challenge
- Fishing knot patrol challenge
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Go on a fishing day trip (essential)
- Camp overnight and go fishing (challenging)
- Have a weekend campout which focuses on fly fishing or bait casting (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Fishing Troop Program Feature below.
Top ideas for Fishing Troop Program Feature
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?