BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Orienteering program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Orienteering feature teaches Scouts to navigate unfamiliar territory using a map and compass. It also introduces them to the sport of orienteering, where participants race to find markers called controls. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- The basics of the sport of orienteering
- Course designations and difficulty levels
- Variations including night orienteering, paddling and horseback varieties, cycling orienteering, and ROGAINE (Rugged Outdoor Group Activity Involving Navigation and Endurance)
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Learn how to use a compass (essential)
- Determine the bearings to a landmark (challenging)
- Calculate and follow back bearings (advanced)
- Learn about map symbols and contour lines (essential)
- Understand the use of colors on a map (challenging)
- Learn more about topographic maps (advanced)
- Orient a topographic map (essential)
- Learn to adjust for declination (advanced)
- Find the best way to travel using a topographic map (advanced)
- Learn the basics of the sport of orienteering (essential)
- Find out about different formats for orienteering meets (challenging)
- Find out about orienteering meets in your area (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Compass Triangle Game
- Map Symbol Relay
- Crash Landing
- Orienteering Scavenger Hunt
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Participate in an orienteering meet (essential)
- Plan an orienteering field day for Webelos in your area (challenging)
- Participate in a ROGAINE (Rugged Outdoor Group Activity Involving Navigation and Endurance) event
Find some related helps and achievements for the Orienteering Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?