BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Hiking program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Hiking feature teaches Scouts how to prepare for a successful and safe exploration of locations near and far. Scouts learn to appreciate everything they see and experience around them as they hike trails in parks, the back-country, and urban areas. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- How to plan a successful hiking outing
- Preparing for different types of hikes: urban, back-roads, snow, tundra, desert, cross-country, night, trail
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Practice compass skills (essential)
- Learn about urban and night hiking (challenging)
- Learn about snow, tundra, and desert hiking (advanced)
- Learn how to estimate heights and widths (essential)
- Pack up for a group hike (challenging)
- Acquire equipment for a group hike (advanced)
- Read topographic maps (essential)
- Review what to do if lost (essential)
- Plan a game for a group hike (challenging)
- Teach map-reading skills (advanced)
- Learn how to treat blisters and sprained ankles (essential)
- Review additional first aid skills (challenging)
- Discuss the importance of travel plans (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings. The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Take a ten mile hike (essential)
- Take 2 ten mile hikes on back to back days (challenging)
- Take a 20 mile hike (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Hiking Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?