Are you stuck in a rut making foil packets? This variation of the hobo meal features ham and sweet potatoes. Perfect for a fall campout!
Cut the sweet potato into small enough pieces that it will cook through. This will be the ingredient which determines how long you have to cook it. Don’t cook it too long or hot or you will burn the sugar.
The brown sugar is optional. Some people like their sweet potato dishes very sweet while others prefer them with little or no sugar. I prefer mine without the brown sugar.
Ham and Sweet Potato Packets Foil Pack Recipe (Hobo Meal)
Equipment for foil packs:
- Charcoal fire
- Heavy duty foil
- Knife and cutting board
Ham and Sweet Potato Packets Ingredients
- 1 ham steak or piece of boneless ham
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup brown sugar (or less if you don’t want it too sweet)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Directions to assemble Ham and Sweet potato foil packs
- Prepare your charcoal fire.
- Cut the ham into bite sized chunks.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Core the apple and cut into pieces.
- Prepare the foil for four foil packs. (See below).
- Place ¼ of the ingredients on each piece of foil.
- Seal and cook.
For instructions for sealing and cooking the pack, see How to Make a Foil Pack (Hobo) Meal.