About Citizenship Football Game
Citizenship Football Game is a fun way to help Webelos and Scouts BSA work on citizenship requirements.
This is a game I got from a fellow Scouter Mom. The purpose of the game is to reinforce the ideas which are discussed in meeting focused on the rights and duties of citizens. So you will need to instruct the Scouts first. Then play this game to help them retain what they have learned.
I think she got the idea at a PowWow or a Roundtable. As luck would have it, our Blue and Gold banquet that year had a sports theme and on each table there had been a poster decorated like a sports field. So she nabbed one of the football fields to use with this game. She has passed the field on to me and we played it several times at den meetings.
The printable copy is also provided below.
How to Play Citizenship Football Game
- Green poster board with a football field drawn on it in chalk
- Questions (see printable copy)
- Extra point questions (see printable copy)
- Yards tags (see printable copy)
- Football markers (see printable copy)
- Three paper bags labeled Questions, Extra Point, and Yards
Cut apart the questions, extra point questions, yards tags, and football markers.
Place the questions in the Questions bag, the extra point questions in the Extra Point bag, and the yards tags in the Yards bag.
- Divide the Scouts into two teams.- red team and blue team.
- Give each team one of the football markers.
- Place both football markers at the 50 yard line.
- Have a coin toss to see which team goes first.
- A member from the first team reaches in the Questions bag and draws a question.
- If he answers correctly, he draws a tag from the Yards bag and moves his team’s football forward that many yards. The next player on his team gets to draw a question.
- If he answers incorrectly, the other team gets a turn.
- When a team gets a touchdown, they get 6 points and they get to try to answer a question from the Extra Point bag for one or two more points. The points are indicated on the question cards.
- If the team is at the 10 or 20 yard line, they may try for a field goal instead of a touchdown. In this case, when they read the question, give them three or four multiple choice answers, with one of them being the correct answer. If the player selects the correct answer they get 3 points.
- After a team scores a touchdown or a field goal, they return their ball to the 50 yard line and the other team gets a turn.
- When a question is answered correctly, it is removed from play. If it is answered incorrectly, it goes back in the bag. If most of the questions have been answered correctly, put them back in the bag and continue playing.
- Play for a set amount of time. Or break the game into quarters and play this between other Citizen Activity badge requirements.
- The team with the most points at the end wins.
You should go over the information in the questions with your Scouts before playing the game. The purpose of the game is to reinforce the answers.
You are the referee. Your decision is always final.
First Aid Baseball
This is another game which uses a sports theme to make doing requirements fun.
Constitution Word Search Puzzle
This printable puzzle is a good gathering activity or take home activity for a citizenship themed meeting.
This site has a number of online games to help teach civics lessons.
Leave a Reply