Most of our scouts enjoy making dump cakes. They are easy enough for novice camp cooks to put together.
There are lots of different dump cake combinations out there. Chocolate and cherries is one of my favorites. It is good with ice cream, but that is difficult to keep at camp so we substitute whipped topping instead.
For easier cleanup, you can line the Dutch oven with aluminum foil.
Black Forest Dump Cake
- Dutch oven
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick butter
- Ice cream or whipped topping optional
- Prepare your charcoal.
- Spread the pie filling in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Sprinkle the cake mix over it. Thinly slice the butter and arrange over the top of the cake mix.
- Put about 12 hot coals under the Dutch oven and 16 on top. Let cook until hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve with ice cream or whipped topping.