Here is a fun recipe for a hearty camp snack. Normally our Scouts eat before leaving for a campout on a Friday evening. If it is a long drive though, that might have been pretty early. By time they get to their destination and set up camp, they are very hungry.
If the taco meat is cooked beforehand, they can put this together pretty quickly. And since it doesn’t require a lot of cleanup, they can make it late in the evening.
- Charcoal and Dutch oven
- or use a camp stove and a cooking pot
- Utensils for stirring and serving
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages of taco seasoning
- 16 individual serving sized Frito bags
- shredded cheddar cheese
Preparation (before leaving for camp)
- Thoroughly cook the ground beef. Add the taco seasoning and water according to the directions on the taco seasoning packets. Cool and pack into containers.
- Shred the lettuce and pack into containers.
- Prepare your charcoal if necessary. Heat the taco meat in the Dutch oven or on the stove.
- To serve, crunch up a bag of Fritos and then open it. Put a heaping spoonful of meat in the bag. Add some shredded cheese. Top with lettuce and salsa. Eat with a fork directly out of the bag.