When you are doing first aid instruction, it is best to demonstrate it as much as possible. Here is a way they showed us at a Pow Wow a few years ago. I did this with my previous Webelos den and they really enjoyed it.
Their favorite part was putting on the latex gloves. Then when they were finished they blew them all up like balloons.
This demonstration helps Scouts understand basic first aid for cuts
• Red marker
• Small latex gloves
• Gauze pads
1. Give each Scout a small “cut” with the marker – just a quarter inch or so.
2. Have them wash the cut with soap and water and apply the antiseptic.
3. Then have them put a band-aid on the cut.
4. Next give them a larger “cut” with the marker – about an inch.
5. For this “cut”, they will bandage each other, so have them put the gloves on.
6. Show them how to apply pressure and have them practice this on each other.
7. Let them cover each other’s cuts with a gauze pad and secure it with tape.
8. You can also show them how to use a neckerchief to secure the pad.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?