I needed a couple of activities for a recent meeting based on the Planting Seeds of Kindness theme. So one thing we did was make kindness fortune tellers (also known as cootie catchers.)
A fortune teller is a type of origami. You it is labelled with numbers and colors. You manipulate it with your fingers based on a person’s choices. When you get to the final step, a message is revealed.
In this case, the message was something kind you can do for someone. So they can take these home and use them once a day to get a prompt for a kindness activity to focus on for that day.
How to Make a Kindness Fortune Teller
To assemble the fortune teller
- Print out the template and cut away the margins.
- Color and decorate the template using crayons or markers. (Optional)
- Flip it so the printed side is down and fold in the corners so they meet in the center.
- Flip it over again and fold the corners into the center.
- Crease down the middle.
- Fold it down the middle in the perpendicular direction.
- Pull out the corners.
How to play with a fortune teller (cootie catcher)
- Put your fingers in the bottom of the fortune teller.
- Ask your friend to pick a color. Spell out the color while pulling the sections apart and pinching them together.
- Ask your friend to pick one of the numbers which is showing. Count it out while manipulating the fortune teller.
- Ask your friend to pick another number. Lift the flap and read the message which is under the number. That is the kindness activity for the day!