BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Project Planning program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Project Planning feature helps youth leaders learn how to accomplish their goals, whether that be a service project or a troop campout or planning other activities together. The troop does a group exercise of planning and carrying out a recycle regatta. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- Learn the principles of project management
- Explore the stages of team planning
- Learn about the roles of project manager, stakeholder, sponsor, and team member
- Understand that goals must be SMART: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-based
- Evaluate the project
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Brainstorm designs and ideas (essential)
- Brainstorm propulsion ideas (challenging)
- Brainstorm a more complicated course (advanced)
- Think about safety and materials needed (essential)
- Assemble the boats (essential)
- Add propulsion elements (challenging)
- Create an enhanced raingutter course (advanced)
- Prepare for the competition (essential)
- Carry out the Recycle Regatta
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Pasta Jelly Bean Tower
- Ice Accident
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Complete a project management course (essential)
- Do a big service project (challenging)
- Plan and carry out a memorable multi-day activity (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Project Planning Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?