In an egg drop challenge, Scouts try to design a container which can prevent an egg from breaking when dropped. This is an excellent project to get kids interested in science and engineering.
- Have your Scouts collect recyclable materials for a week and bring them to a meeting.
- Break Scouts into teams of two or three. (Cub Scouts might need to have parents or leaders as a mentor on their teams. )
- Give each team a roll of masking tape and a raw egg.
- Using the recyclables and tape, have them build a contraption for the egg which will protect it from a fall.
- Drop the egg in the contraption from some height. This must be supervised or done by an adult.
- See which teams’ eggs stayed intact and which broke.
- Talk about the effectiveness of the various designs.
Leave a Reply