Chicken and Dumplings at Camp
My family loves chicken and dumplings. Lots of chicken, with carrots, celery, and onions, all topped with dumplings. This is real comfort food!
A little modification to a basic recipe combined with some preparation beforehand at home makes this an easy camp meal. This will warm your Scouts up during a cool campout.
This is a fluffy biscuit type dumpling, not the flat noodle type.
A printable version is also provided below.
Camp Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Ziploc bags
- Stove or charcoal fire
- Cook pot or Dutch oven with a lid
- Spoon for stirring the pot
- Mixing bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cans chicken broth (about 6 cups)
- 3 celery stalks
- 6 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (thigh meat works really well)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Before leaving for camp:
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and seal in the Ziploc bag.
- Peel the carrots and onions.
- Chop the carrots, onions, and celery and seal in a separate Ziploc bag.
- Prepare your charcoal fire if necessary.
- Put the broth in the cook pot.
- Add the vegetables you prepared at home.
- Add the chicken, parsley, and pepper.
- Put the cook pot on the stove or fire and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Put the dry ingredients you prepared at home in a mixing bowl.
- Add the milk and oil to the dry ingredients and stir until a stiff dough forms.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the broth mixture. Don’t stir.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Try not to peek too often!
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
See more recipes which are easy for Scouts to make on their own at camp.
Help for Grubmasters
Help your youth learn how to plan for food at camp and pack it safely.
This is another home-style meal which can be prepared at camp.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?