The aims of Scouting are character development, citizenship training, personal fitness (both mental and physical), and leadership development. Today we look at how character development is incorporated into the Scouting programs offered by BSA.
Cub Scouts also have lots of character development material incorporated into the program.
- Some activities help Cub Scouts think about how they can make the right choices in their everyday lives
- Religious emblem programs help develop their spiritual lives
- Cub Scouts learn the basics of what to do in an emergency and how to get help
- The Cub Scout motto – Do Your Best – serves as a guide for their actions and participation
Character development is such an important part of a youth’s education. I’m glad that we can do our part teaching our youth through the Scouting program.
The Scouts BSA advancement program provides lots of opportunity for character development:
- The Scout Law is basically a roadmap for character development: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, clean, brave, and reverent
- Opportunities for leadership help develop confidence
- Instruction in first aid and emergency preparedness help Scouts prepare to take care of themselves and others when their help is most needed
- Religious observance is a regular part of the Scouts BSA program
Character development is an integral part of the Venturing program:
- Venturing is based on the ALPS model. The P in ALPS stands for Personal Growth. Venturers learn to set goals to develop character.
- Venturers develop leadership skills by planning their program
- With the program emphasis on teaching skills to others, Venturers learn to see through a perspective other than their own.
- A Venturer lives by the Scout Oath and Law.
- The TRUST Award helps Venturers explore their own faith and respect the beliefs of others.
Ideas and resources for building character:
Top ideas for Character Development
Even more resources for Character Development
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?