BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Emergency Preparedness program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Emergency Preparedness feature teaches Scouts how to develop the first aid and leadership skills needed to deal with an emergency. Scouts learn to be prepared for accidents and natural disasters and to make informed decisions. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- How communities prepare for emergencies
- The five aspects of emergency preparedness : preparedness, response, recovery, mitigation, and prevention
- Preparation for disasters
- How to conduct a lost-person search
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Review how to escape a burning building (essential)
- Troop mobilization techniques (challenging)
- Learn about emergency preparedness in the community (advanced)
- Role play 911 calls (essential)
- Review CPR (essential)
- Learn about crowd control (challenging)
- Work on lost-person techniques (advanced)
- Safety after a disaster (essential)
- Search and rescue scenarios (challenging)
- How to cope with emotional trauma (advanced)
- Inspect homes for hazards (essential)
- Make emergency kits (challenging)
- Presentation by a member of a community response team (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings.
- Bandage Relay
- First Aid Carry Relay
- Stretcher Relay
- Lost-Person Search
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Visit an emergency response team location (essential)
- Run emergency response scenarios (challenging)
- Participate in a community disaster drill (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Emergency Preparedness Troop Program Feature below.