Police Car

Scout Family Threatening Leaders

Megan sent in this question:

Recently my husband who is the Scoutmaster had a father of a scout show up at our door and threaten my husbands safety. The father also went to the Boy Scout meeting looking for my husband who was not there and gave another threat to his safety to another leader. The local bsa council would prefer to remain quiet and not get involved in hopes it will blow over. We did call the police. I would like to understand where Boy Scouts of America stand on threats to their adult leaders.

Megan, I’m sorry to hear you are having this problem. In my experience these sort of problems are normally handled at the unit level. Your unit is not required to keep a Scout whose family is threatening others. In my opinion, your Chartered Organization Rep and Committee Chair should contact his parents and tell them it is time to find another unit.

You are correct to call the police if you feel unsafe. Hopefully a warning from them will be enough to keep this bully of a parent away from you.

I don’t know what the official BSA policy is, but in all of the cases like this that I’ve heard of, the Scout and family have been asked to stay away from the unit.

Readers, what is your experience? Any advice for Megan? Add your comments below.

4 Responses to Scout Family Threatening Leaders

  1. Adrienne K November 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM #

    How scary!

    I can appreciate the frustration with the BSA’s response but, I agree, I would go first to my Charter Organization Representative and Committee Chair. We are very blessed in our Troop – we meet at our CO (an Elk’s Lodge,) and our representative is there just about every week to open for us so we have lots of contact with him. He has been very helpful with conflicts in the Troop.

    The Key Three of any unit are the Committee Chair, the Charter Org Rep and the Scoutmaster. The Charter Org would be the “enforcer” in this situation. All of the leaders in the unit are approved by the COR. To me, the buck stops there. If you don’t have your Charter Org’s support, I’m not sure what the BSA can or should do.

    If this situation happened beyond the unit – at a District meeting level or a Council level, then I would expect more response from the Council.

  2. Darryl Alder November 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM #

    This is serious. I am the staff advisor to Risk Management in our Council and I would want to know about this.
    I suggest that you contact Richard Bourlon, National BSA Health & Safety Service at Richard.Bourlon@scouting.org

  3. Mike Walton (settummanque) January 8, 2016 at 5:02 PM #

    Hey Megan!! The advice given here is right on target!

    In addition to contacting Richard Bourlon at the BSA’s National Center, I would once again contact your Council’s Scout Executive (not a Field Director, District Executive nor anyone else but your *Council Scout Executive* (sometime he or she is called the CEO or the Council Executive) and place on paper exactly what went on, what was said, and who was present when he said those things.

    If your Council is unwilling to work with local law enforcement on the matter, then I would send a copy of the statement/information to the National Center. I am sure however if you sat down with your Council’s Scout Executive and fully explain the situations, that your Scout Executive will respond in a positive manner and help you, your family and your Troop resolve this situation.

    The official BSA policy is within the Guide to Safe Scouting:

    “Allegations of abuse, violations of BSA policies or guidelines, or inappropriate behavior by a Scout, Scout leader, parent, or other person should be reported on this form. The information on this form is confidential, and the completed form should be forwarded to the council Scout executive as soon as practical.”

    “Within 24 hours, do the following:
    1. Get help for injured parties (e.g., call 911).
    2. Notify the council Scout executive.
    3. Complete an Incident Information Report, No. 680-016.
    4. Forward the incident report to your local council enterprise risk management contact.
    5. Ask the council contact to enter the incident into
    the RiskConsole incident reporting system.”

    Hope this helps out….

  4. LZ June 28, 2016 at 9:36 AM #

    Definitely a bad situation for sure, however, in fairness, this is only one side of your story. I’m curious as to what your husband did to warrant this level of animosity from this irate parent?

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: