Gooey Butter Cake is a favorite type of coffee cake here in St. Louis. This version of the recipe is even easy enough for Cub Scouts to make.
For more about this recipe and some photos, see What Should You Send With Your Freshman When He Heads Off to College? on my personal blog, Empty Nest in the Midwest.
It is rich, so don’t cut too big of a piece for yourself!
Find more easy recipes for Cub Scouts on my Cubs in the Kitchen page.
Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese (light is OK)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cake mix, butter, and egg.
- Press the cake mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan.
- Beat together the cream cheese, eggs, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese topping over the cake mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until topping is set and slightly brown.
- Dust with additional powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares.
Leave a Reply