Leatherworking is a popular hobby enjoyed by many people around the world. The art of leatherworking can range from simple projects such as a leather bookmark to more complex items such as handbags, belts, and wallets. In this blog post, we will focus on how to make a leather bookmark.
A leather bookmark project is a great choice for those who are new to the art of leatherwork. It is simple enough for those not familiar with leatherwork, but it includes the basics of cutting, punching, and stamping. The project is also perfect for those who are looking for a quick and easy DIY gift idea.
The first step in making a leather bookmark is to gather the necessary materials. You will need a piece of leather, a ruler, a sharp knife or scissors, a leather punch, and a stamp or embossing tool. If you don’t have any scrap leather, you can order leather scraps online or check with your local leathercraft store. In our area, the Tandy stores are very friendly to Scout groups and will sometimes give scrap leather at no charge. They also offer workshops for Scouts if you want to do something more complicated.
Once you have your materials, you can start by cutting the leather to the desired size. A typical size for a bookmark is around 6 inches long and 1 inch wide. You can use a ruler to mark the leather, and then use a sharp knife or scissors to cut along the line.
Next, you will need to punch a hole at the top of the bookmark. This is where you will attach a tassel or ribbon. Using a leather punch, create a hole about 1/4 inch from the top of the bookmark.
Now it’s time to add some personalization to your bookmark. You can use a stamp or embossing tool to add a design or message to the leather. This is where you can get creative and make your bookmark unique.
Finally, you can attach a tassel or ribbon to the bookmark. You can use a jump ring or a piece of leather string to attach the tassel or ribbon to the hole at the top of the bookmark.
And there you have it! A simple and personalized leather bookmark that is perfect for yourself or as a gift for someone else. Leatherworking is a fun and rewarding hobby, and a leather bookmark project is a great way to get started.
Leather Bookmark Project
- Scrap leather
- sturdy scissors
- Leather punch
- Leather stamps
- bowl of water
- mallet or hammer
- Cut a piece of leather to approximately 1 inch by 6 inches
- Make small cuts on one narrow end to make fringe
- On the other narrow end, approximately 1/2 inch from the edge, punch a hole using the punch and mallet.
- Dip the sponge into the water.
- Use the sponge to wet the leather just until it changes color.
- Use the stamps and mallet to stamp a design into the leather.
- Cut a piece of lacing about 1/8 inch by 6 inches from the remaining scrap leather.
- Fold the lacing in half and force the folded end through the hole in the bookmark.
- Bring the loose ends over the top and through the loop poking through the hole. Tighten and adjust as necessary.
Leave a Reply