This month I am featuring a cycling theme. And you know if you go out cycling, you are going to need some energy. There are lots of recipes for energy bars out there, but most include peanuts.
DS’s den had a scout with peanut allergies, so I always had to find peanut free recipes. This is an easy “energy bar” recipe you can use. If you don’t have any nut allergies, you can include peanut butter or nuts as an optional ingredient.
Note: Sunflower seeds can be a problem for a subset of people with nut allergies, so if you are not sure, ask before you use them.
Homemade Energy Bars Recipe (Peanut Free)
- 1 1/4 cup flour can use whole wheat for half
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup peanut butter if no allergies
- 1/4 cup nuts if no allergies
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Any other favorite ingredients
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, butter, vanilla, and egg.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in oats.
- Add one or two of the optional ingredients if desired.
- Press dough into a greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and sunflower seeds.
- Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars.