BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. One of the Cub Scout themes for the value of Perseverance is an Over the Horizon theme.
Here is what the program helps say about this theme:
It is easy for a Cub Scout to become tired and want to quit while out on a hike, but looking forward to seeing what is over the horizon is a goal that may keep him from giving up. Perseverance is sticking with something and not giving up, even if it is difficult. Through participation in activities such as hiking, Cub Scouts learn the importance of perseverance. This month we encourage every Cub Scout to look “Over the Horizon” to his goal as he hikes along the Cub Scout trail.
So this theme is a hiking theme for Cub Scouts. Below you’ll find some ways to form your pack and den programs around this program theme.
Over the Horizon Cub Scout Pack Meeting Plan
This Cub Scout pack meeting plan includes the following – all within a cooperation theme. See the meeting plan for details.
- Gathering activity – Make trail mix
- Opening ceremony – Mountain Trail opening
- Alternate opening – Hiking and the Flag
- A prayer about conservation
- Audience Participation – Let’s Take a Hike follow the leader
- Activity –Den Demonstrations, Knot Hike
- Take Me Out to the Forest song
- Climb that Mountain skit
- Stop and Spot game
- Memory Hike game
- Themed Hike
- Hiking Advancement Ceremony
- A “Perseverance” Cubmaster Minute
- A Knocks and Scratches closing ceremony