Tornadoes are destructive storms are caused by a vortex. You can use the classic “tornado in a bottle” demonstration to explain how a vortex forms.
This demonstration goes well with a weather related activity or just for some STEM fun.
Tornado in a Bottle
- 1 2 liter soda bottle empty, with cap, clear works best
- 3 tbsp glitter
- Fill the bottle about 3/4 with water.
- Add the glitter.
- Put the cap on the bottle.
- Turn the bottle upside down.
- Move it in a circular motion for about 15 seconds. You should see a vortex form in the water. If not, try again, either a little faster or a little slower.