The Sweet Corn Bread recipe I posted last week got me thinking about Green Chili Stew. This probably isn’t very authentic, but it is a tasty stew which is easy to make at camp. Serve a nice green salad with it and you have a meal!
Green Chili Stew
- Charcoal fire or gas stove
- Large Dutch oven
- Spoon for stirring
- Cutting board
- 2 pounds pork – a fatty cut like pork butt works well
- 2 onions diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 4 oz can chopped green chilies do not drain
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 ½ Tbsp cumin or to taste
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cheddar cheese
- Prepare your charcoal fire if necessary
- Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes.
- Brown the pork in oil.
- Add the green chilies, tomatoes, and spices.
- Simmer until meat is tender, about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with cheddar cheese and salsa.