Scouts learn about pet ownership and training while working on the Dog Care merit badge. They explore the history of dogs and learn about their physiology and health. They also explore careers related to dogs.
Printable helps for requirements:
Scouts who are working on the Dog Care merit badge will find a number of resources are available to help them complete the requirements and answer the questions for the badge. Also check out my Dog Care merit badge page for even more resources from my site.
First of all, the requirements and resources section of the Dog Care merit badge pamphlet are available as a free PDF. The complete Dog Care merit badge pamphlet is also available.
The pamphlet recommends a number of books and resources:
- The Complete Dog Book from the American Kennel Club – This book has all of the information about purebred dogs. Learn the standards for different breeds along with the histories of how the breeds developed.
- The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford – This classic book tells of two pet dogs and a cat who were separated from their family and traveled across the Canadian wilderness to be reunited with them. This book was the inspiration for the the movie Homeward Bound.
- Dogs by Raymond Coppinger and Lorna Coppinger – Learn about the science and history of how dogs and humans interact.
- Dogalog by Bruce Fogle – Learn all about the various breeds of dogs. This book is full of pictures and very engaging.
- The Mythology of Dogs by Gerald Hausman and Loretta Hausman – Learn how dogs have played a role in culture, legends, religious traditions, books, and more.
- Snow Dog by Jim Kjelgaard – This is just one example of Kjelgaard’s many books about dogs. This is a story of an orphaned dog who becomes attached to a trapper.
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London – This classic story tells of Buck, a dog who is stolen and becomes a sled dog, learning to survive the brutality of his new owners and the rugged Alaskan environment.
- Pet First Aid: Cats and Dogs by Bobbie Mammato – This is a comprehensive book explaining all you need to know about keeping your dog healthy.
- The Domestic Dog by James Serpell – Learn why dogs and humans have a special bond and find out the role dogs play in human society today. This book includes information about training and dog behavior.
- Wild Dogs: The Natural History of the Nondomestic Canidae by Jennifer Sheldon – Learn about wild species such as coyotes, wolves, foxes, and jackals. How do they relate and compare to domesticated dogs?
- Best Loved Dog Stories of Albert Payson Terhune – Terhune was one of my favorite authors as a child, with Lad being one of my favorite stories. All of his stories express the incredible bond between dogs and people.
- The Lost History of the Canine Race by Mary Elizabeth Thurston – This book looks at how dogs have played a part in human history for thousands of years. It includes historical evidence of their role.
- Lassie Come-Home by Rosemary Wells – This is n illustrated version of Eric Knight’s classic story of a dog and his boy. Lassie travels across Scotland to be reunited with Joe.
- Dog Health and Nutrition for Dummies by Christine Zink – This book is just what you would expect from the “For Dummies” line of books. It gives all the information you need to keep your dog happy and healthy in an easy to digest 🙂 format.
There are also some recommended web sites:
- American Humane advocates for the compassionate treatment of animals
- The American Kennel Club is the go-to source for information about dog breeds.
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is another organization which promotes the humane treatment of animals.
- Dog Breeds Info Center will help you identify and understand your dog’s breed, whether pure-bred or mixed.
- Dog Owner’s Guide – This kid friendly site gives advice on how to care for your pet dog.
- The Humane Society of the United States is yet another organization which promotes the care of animals. The Humane Society in our area sometimes does workshops for the Dog Care merit badge.
- Pet of the Day – See a new pet photo and story every day. Nominate your dog to be featured on the site.
- SPAY/USA offers low cost spaying and neutering services to help reduce the number of euthanizations of cats and dogs.
Do you have some resources for the Dog Care merit badge which you would like to share? Add them to the comments below.