If you are doing something related to forestry, you can make these tree shaped snacks to go with the theme. Or make them for something related to family trees.
The “leaves” for these trees are pretty sticky when you work with them. They have extra marshmallow coating to make them green enough.
I did these a few years back for one of my dens. We did them with a family tree activity. We only used the banana shaped candies, because our families were “bananas”! 🙂
Rice Crispy Treat Trees
- 2 bags mini marshmallows
- 6 tbsp butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- green food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups corn flakes
- Runts Fruit Candy
- cooking spray
- Spray a 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- For the “tree trunks”, melt 1 bag of marshmallows and 3 tbsp butter in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Stir in the crisp rice cereal.
- Press the mixture into the pan and let cool.
- Prepare two cookie sheets, by lining with wax paper or parchment paper, and spraying with cooking spray
- For the “leaves”, melt the second bag of marshmallows and 3 tbsp butter in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Add 15-20 drops of food coloring.
- Stir in corn flakes until thoroughly coated.
- Cut the pan of “trunks” into rectangular tree trunk shapes and spread them out on the trays. (You might not need all of the material.)
- Spray your hands with cooking spray or give them generous coat of butter.
- Spoon out some of the “leaves” at the top of a trunk and press into a round “tree canopy”.
- Press some candies in right away.
- Repeat with remaining “trees”.
If the corn flake mixture becomes to stiff to work with, microwave it for about 20 seconds
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?