Spring is here! And with spring, comes the mud. Here is a really simple camp gadget I saw at a camporee a few years back. It was a simple boot scraper camp gadget for scraping the mud off of the bottom of the boots.
The one I saw did not involve any lashings. Only gravity was involved. However, if you wanted to use it for First Class requirement 7b – Use lashings to make a useful camp gadget – you could lash the parts together. It would make the whole thing sturdier.
Printable copy of Boot Scraper Gadget
Boot Scraper Camp Gadget
- Find two sturdy Y shaped sticks and one sturdy straight stick.
- Trim the Y sticks so that the straight piece at the base of each is about 8 inches long.
- Trim the straight stick so it is about 12 inches long.
- Drive the Y sticks into the ground, parallel so that they are about 8 inches apart and the joint of the Y is about 3 inches above the ground.
- Place the straight stick in the Ys. (See printable copy for illustration)
- Scrape the mud from your boots by placing your foot on the straight stick and pressing down a little while drawing your foot across it.
If necessary, use some lashings to secure the sticks.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?