BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Wilderness Survival program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Wilderness Survival program feature helps Scouts learn how to stay safe, warm, and dry when the unexpected happens during an outdoor adventure. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- Survival gear
- What to do when things go wrong
- Helping the wilderness survive you
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Introduce the points of Trek Safely (essential)
- Discuss wilderness first aid (challenging)
- Discuss difficult survival situations, such as cold, hot, windy, or water (advanced)
- List what should go in a personal survival kit (essential)
- List what should go in a unit survival kit (challenging)
- Compare the cost of assembling your own survival kit vs purchasing one (advanced)
- Learn how to make a shelter with found materials (essential)
- Discuss how natural features can help or hinder when making a shelter (challenging)
- Discuss how to make your shelter visible to search parties (advanced)
- Practice signalling with shiny objects (essential)
- Review common ground-to-air signals (challenging)
- Discuss how color and motion can enhance visibility (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings.
- Kim’s Game with Survival Items
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Hold a survival field day for Webelos (essential)
- Build and sleep in survival shelters during a weekend campout (challenging)
- Complete an overnight campout with minimal gear (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Wilderness Survival Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?