BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Citizenship program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Citizenship feature teaches Scouts understand their rights as US citizens. It also demonstrates how these rights are balanced by duties like paying taxes and voting. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- The branches of the United States government
- Checks and balances
- The duty to serve the community
- The non-partisan nature of Scouting
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Discuss the branches of the US government and local government (essential)
- Discuss how local, state, and federal governments work together (challenging)
- Discuss the structure of local, state, and federal governments (advanced)
- Discuss how to participate in the community (essential/challenging)
- Discuss paying taxes honestly and on time (advanced)
- Discuss local laws (essential)
- Learn how laws are enforced (challenging)
- Review the Bill of Rights and how bills become laws (advanced)
- Explain the difference between criminal and civil courts (essential)
- Explain how the Supreme Court figures into checks and balances (challenging)
- Review some Supreme Court cases and debate (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Mock Election
- Guess the President
- Bill to Law
- Mock Court Case
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Do a community service project (essential)
- Camp at a historic site overnight (challenging)
- Visit the stat legislature (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Citizenship Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?