I recently came across this idea and I thought it would make a good Craftsman project for my Webelos. We’ll probably try this in December. They could make these and then give them to someone as a Christmas present.
Younger Cub Scouts will need extra adult help on some of the steps, but they should be able to do enough of the project to give them a sense of accomplishment.
Remember that the Guide to Safe Scouting does not allow Cub Scouts and Webelos to use power tools, so you’ll have to use a hand drill and hand saw.
Tic Tac Toe Game Project
Make a tic tac toe game with a piece of wood and golf tees.
- ½ thick board – pine works well
- hand saw
- hand drill with an 1/8 inch drill bit
- 10 golf tees
- Draw a 4 inch by 4 inch square on the pine board using the ruler and pencil.
- Using the saw, cut out the square, so you have a 4×4 piece of wood. This will be your game board.
- Mark 3 rows of 3 dots – equally spaced. Each dot should be about 1 inch away from the other dots.
- Drive the nail into each of the 3 dots and remove it. This will give you a place to start drilling.
- Drill into each of the 9 holes which you started with the nail. Don’t drill all the way through the board.
- Now use the ruler and pencil to draw the lines for the tic tac toe board. Then go over the lines with the marker.
- Paint 5 of the golf tees one color and the other 5 a different color. Let dry.
- Now you can play tic tac toe on your board. One player uses one color golf tee and the other uses the second color. Insert the tees into the holes to indicate which spaces you have claimed.
Leave a Reply