BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Safety program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Safety feature teaches Scouts to “Be Prepared” for hazardous situations in their homes, on the street, and while out in the woods with their troop. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- Learn about actions, consequences, and risks
- The hazards of distracted driving
- How to safely use firearms
- Preventing poisoning, especially at home
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Buddy system (essential)
- Identify hazards traveling to and at outings (challenging)
- Identify hazards in international travel (advanced)
- How youth can prevent crime (essential)
- Internet safety (essential)
- How to protect yourself from crime (challenging)
- Homeland security threat levels (advanced)
- Workplace safety (essential)
- Develop a neighborhood watch program (challenging)
- Explore safety concerns in large gatherings and public places (advanced)
- Learn about careers related to public safety (essential)
- Analyze a public safety agency or local company (challenging)
- Identify national security threats and risks and explore safety protocols
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Safety Skits
- Safety Trivia Game
- Safety Charades
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Hold a safety fair (essential)
- Tour a public safety agency (challenging)
- Plan a weekend event with a behind the scenes look at how safety is handled at a major public event such as a sporting event or concert
Find some related helps and achievements for the Safety Troop Program Feature below.
Top ideas for Safety Troop Program Feature
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?