About Leave No Trace
Leave No Trace is an outdoor ethics program which encourages responsible use of outdoor resources. The frontcountry guidelines are the guidelines for day-use areas like parks and trails. It is a good idea to review these before participating in an outdoor activity.
Discussing the Leave No Trace Frontcountry Guidelines is one of the requirements for the Cub Scout Leave No Trace Award. The other requirements for this award vary depending on which age level the Cub Scouts are. See the documents below for the other requirements for each level.
Leave No Trace Frontcountry Guidelines
- Know the local rules and regulations.
- Remember to bring food, water, and appropriate clothing.
- Bring a map so you don’t get lost.
- Bring a bag to pack out your trash.
- Don’t forget a leash for your pet.
- Take the time to learn about the area.
Stick to Trails
- Stay on the trails as they are marked if you can.
- Try not to disturb wildflowers and other plants. That way everyone can enjoy them!
- Don’t trespass on private property.
Trash Your Trash
- Remove any trash you bring with you. Make sure it is put in a receptacle or take it with you.
- Even natural materials, like bits of fruit, should not be thrown on the ground. They attract pests and detract from the natural beauty of an area.
- Use a plastic bag to pack out your pet’s waste.
Leave What You Find
- Don’t pick wildflowers.
- Leave rocks and other objects where they are so others can see them also.
- Do not mark or carve into living plants.
Minimize Campfire Impact
- Be careful with fire and follow all fire safety guidelines.
- Use established fire rings or pits.
- Only burn small, manageable amounts of wood.
- Observe animals from a distance.
- Avoid feeding or approaching wild animals.
- Do not let your pet chase wildlife.
Respect Other Visitors
- Be courteous to others on trails when biking or running.
- Make room for others on trails and be cautious when passing.
- Don’t disturb others by making lots of noise or playing loud music.
- Respect “No Trespassing” and “Do Not Enter” signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash at all times.
The Outdoor Code is a pledge to be responsible when enjoying nature. So following LNT guidelines is a part of that.
Scouts of all ages who follow the principles of Leave No Trace can earn the Outdoor Ethics Awareness Award.
Learn how following these guidelines helps keep our natural areas in good condition for all to appreciate.