BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The COPE program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The COPE feature teaches Scouts to go beyond their comfort zones They develop self esteem by facing challenges individually and as a member of a team. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- Learn about communication, planning, teamwork, trust, leadership, decision making, problem solving, and self-esteem
- Accept the principle of “challenge by choice”
- Understand the “full value contract”
- Practice and understand the skill of spotting
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Discuss the principals of COPE, full value contract, and challenge by choice (essential)
- List the principles to be improved upon (challenging)
- Make a goal plan and choose some initiative games (advanced)
- Learn spotting commands and stances (essential)
- Practice spotting (challenging)
- Teach others the skill of spotting (advanced)
- Discuss the full value contract and challenge by choice as life skills (essential)
- Learn and practice how to put on a harness and helmet (essential)
- Learn how to size a helmet (challenging)
- Learn how to maintain COPE equipment (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Traffic Jam
- Willow in the Wind
- Cookie Factory
- Everybody Up
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Hold a “COPE on the ground” event (essential)
- Participate in a low ropes course (challenging)
- Participate in a high ropes course (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the COPE Troop Program Feature below.