BSA has a Cub Scout pack meeting plan called My Family Tree related to the Scout Law point of Reverent. The My Family Tree meeting plan features ideas for the core value of faith- games, group activities, songs, and more includes a Raingutter Regatta as the featured activity. There are instructions for making Raingutter Regatta boats from household items in the pack meeting plan (link below).
Here is how the BSA plan suggests tying together this theme with the value of faith:
Faith means having inner strength and confidence based on trust in a higher power. Understanding one’s family tree, ancestors, and heritage brings stories to life of the strength and confidence of our family members. It also tells of their belief and trust in a higher power to help bring them safely to the United States. In years past, many immigrants traveled by boat. What faith they had in that boat that would change their lives!
Cub Scout Pack Meeting Plan – My Family Tree (Reverent)
This Cub Scout pack meeting plan includes the following – all within a faith theme. See the meeting plan for details.
- Gathering activity – Map activity and Passport Game, Around the World in Five Minutes, work on Raingutter Regatta boats
- Opening ceremony – “Family” Opening Ceremony
- Family Tree Prayer
- Wind in the Trees Cheer, Den Number Cheer, Family cheer
- How Did You Get Here? Skit and The True Hardship of Our Ancestors Skit
- Fan applause, Holland Windmill applause, and Round of Applause applause
- Finger Food Run On
- Greece joke, Noise joke, Library joke, and Smile joke
- Song – It’s a Cub World (to the tune of It’s a Small World) and Family Trees (to the tune of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes)
- Activity – Den Demonstrations, Raingutter Regatta, and Faith and Our Ancestors Interviews
- Family Tree Recognition Ceremony
- “The Family Tree” Poem Cubmaster Minute
- Circle of Hands Closing Ceremony