Independence Day is a fun holiday for making decorations. Here is a simple craft for your Fourth of July celebration which is actually functional. This one is best for the younger scouts.
This craft could be used to fulfill Tiger Elective 2 – Make a decoration with your family or den. Display it or give it to someone as a gift.
Printable copy of Patriotic Napkin and Utensil Holder
Patriotic Napkin and Utensil Holder
- Four empty toilet paper tubes
- Construction paper – red, white, and blue
- One 6” x 6” piece of stiff cardboard
- Four small, clean plastic lids (like milk carton lids) which will fit inside the tubes.
- Hot glue gun
- Cover the top 1/3 of each tube with blue construction paper.
- Cover the bottom 2/3 of each tube with red construction paper
- Cut some small stars out of the white construction paper and glue them onto the blue parts of the tubes.
- Cut some stripes out of the white construction paper and glue them on the red parts of the tubes.
- Hot glue the four lids onto the square of cardboard as shown in the printable copy (see link above), with the flat sides down.
- Put the tubes over the lids and hot glue as necessary to hold them in place.
- Put your utensils in the tubes and stand your napkins up in the space between the tubes.
If you are doing this with young Scouts, an adult should use the hot glue gun. Webelos will appreciate the danger and excitement of using the glue gun.