The Cub Scout core value for the month of May is Health and Fitness . BSA has a Cub Scout pack meeting plan called Backyard Fun related to this core value. The Backyard Fun meeting plan features ideas for the core value of health and fitness- games, group activities, songs, and more.
For more ideas for use with this program theme, see my Backyard Fun page.
The core value of health and fitness should still be the focus for the month. Here is how the BSA plan suggests tying together this theme with May’s core value of health and fitness:
Through Cub Scouting, we encourage families to be more physically fit and to enjoy the outdoors at the same time in their own backyards. By staging this month’s pack meeting outside, we encourage our Scouts to turn off the television, computer, and video game and help keep the “Outing” in “Scouting.”
May Pack Meeting – Backyard Fun (Health and Fitness)
This Cub Scout pack meeting plan includes the following – all within a health and fitness theme. See the meeting plan for details.
- Gathering activity – All About My Backyard matching game
- Opening ceremony – Flag parade
- Fitness Prayer
- Activity – Backyard games: sock softball, obstacle course, Cubanapolis race, bare toes marble race, vegetable races, flying disc golf, fishing pond, blind puzzles, beach ball volley, hoopla, human tic-tac-toe
- Award Ceremony recognition ceremony
- Win, Lose, or Draw cheer
- Healthy and Fit Cubmaster Minute
- Backyard Games Closing Ceremony