The Assistant Patrol Leader is a youth member of a Scouts BSA Troop who is appointed by the Patrol Leader and leads the patrol in his absence. The position of Assistant Patrol Leader does not qualify for the leadership requirements for advancement. (See the leadership positions listed in the Star, Life, and Eagle requirements in the Scouts BSA handbook.)
The description and requirements below are an example. Adjust them as necessary to meet the needs of your troop. The printable copy also includes a self evaluation form for the position.
Printable copy of Assistant Patrol Leader Description and Self Evaluation
Assistant Patrol Leader
- Appointed by the Patrol Leader with Scoutmaster approval
- Tenderfoot Rank or higher (Exception: There is no rank requirement for the Assistant Patrol Leader for a new scout patrol)
- May not serve two consecutive terms
Reports to: The Patrol Leader
Trained by: Assistant Senior Patrol Leader with assistance from the Assistant Scoutmaster for Older Scouts (or by the Troop Guide and Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scouts if this is a new scout patrol)
Assistant Patrol Leader duties:
- Assist the Patrol Leader in planning and leading patrol meetings and activities
- Helps the Patrol Leader keep patrol members informed.
- Assists the Patrol Leader in preparing the patrol to take part in all troop activities.
- Arrive 5 minutes before the start of troop meetings.
- Direct the patrol at meetings and activities
- Take charge of the patrol in the absence of the Patrol Leader.
- Represent the patrol at Patrol Leaders’ Council (PLC) meetings in the absence of the Patrol Leader.
- Work with the other troop leaders to make the troop run well.
- Participate in outings. Attendance expectation 65%
- Attend troop meetings. Attendance expectation 65%
- Help develop patrol spirit.
- Set a good example.
- Wear the field uniform (class A) correctly to all regular troop meetings and religious services.
- Wear the activity uniform (class B t-shirt) to all outings and other troop activities.
- Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Show Scout Spirit.