Homemade neckerchief slides are a Scouting tradition. In fact, the Scouts BSA in our troop all use homemade slides. I can’t think of a single Scout in our troop who has the official BSA neckerchief slide.
This slide is a fun way to get Cub Scouts involved in this tradition. It is especially appropirate for the Wolves, since it is a wolf slide.
For young scouts, I recommend you trace the pattern on the leather so they can just cut it out. Also, be careful using hot glue with scouts. Webelos might be able to use the hot glue gun (depending on their temperament) but for younger scouts an adult should do the gluing.
Printable copy of Wolf Neckerchief Slide (Includes Pattern)
Wolf Neckerchief Slide
- Pieces of leather
- craft eyes
- black markers
- hot glue gun
- pattern (see printable copy above)
- Trace the pattern on to the leather pieces
- Cut out the leather pieces as traced
- Glue on the craft eyes
- Draw on nose, ears, and other features
- Use the hot glue to glue the ends of the leather strip together to make a loop (diameter should be about ½ inch)
- Use hot glue to attach the loop to the back of the wolf head