In 2010, BSA added two more Boy Scout youth leadership positions – Leave No Trace Trainer and Webmaster. The Leave No Trace Trainer is a youth member of the troop who ensures that Leave No Trace principles are followed on all troop outings and activities.
The description and requirements below are an example. Adjust them as necessary to meet the needs of your troop. The printable copy also includes a self evaluation form for the position.
Leave No Trace Trainer
- Appointed by Senior Patrol Leader and Assistant Senior Patrol Leader with Scoutmaster approval
- 14 or older
- Successfully completed the official Leave No Trace Trainer training course
- May not serve three consecutive terms
Reports to: the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Trained by: Assistant Senior Patrol Leader with assistance from the Assistant Scoutmaster for Older Scouts
Leave No Trace Trainer duties:
- Know by heart the Leave No Trace principles and be able to explain them in detail to others.
- Instruct the troop about Leave No Trace principles before outings.
- While on outings, ensure that Leave No Trace principles are followed, providing direction and instruction as necessary.
- Arrive 5 minutes before the start of troop meetings.
- Participate in outings. Attendance expectation 80%
- Attend troop meetings. Attendance expectation 30%
- Set a good example.
- Wear the field uniform (class A) correctly to all regular troop meetings and religious services.
- Wear the activity uniform (class B t-shirt) to all outings and other troop activities.
- Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Show Scout spirit.