Thursday, December 23, 2021
The Thursday before Christmas is national Re-gifting Day. This would be a fun day to have a White Elephant gift exchange with your Scouts. When we have played it at troop or crew meetings we have had the rule that the gift must be a re-gift or something from their homes. Nobody was supposed to spend money. We had some crazy regifts and it was a lot of fun.
White Elephant Gift Exchange
- Everyone should bring a wrapped gift. Lay down some guidelines. We always did regifts or find something at home. The sillier the better.
- Leaders might want to bring a few extra gifts in case somebody forgets
- Creative wrapping should be encouraged. Once a Scout wrapped ten boxes in each other (Russian doll style) all sealed with large amounts of duck tape. It took forever for the recipient to unwrap it!
- Small pieces of paper with consecutive numbers written on them. One for each person.
- Put the numbered papers in a bowl. Everyone should randomly draw one.
- Whoever drew #1 goes first. That person chooses any of the wrapped gifts. Some people play the rule to unwrap the gift. We always left all of our gifts wrapped until the very end.
- Whoever drew #2 goes next. Then #3, #4, #5, etc. Each person can either choose a gift or take the gift from another person.
- If a person’s gift was stolen, they get to choose a different gift or steal one from somebody else.
- The same gift cannot be stolen more than once per turn.
- When everyone has a gift, you open them.