Troop Guide is another important youth leadership position in a Boy Scout troop. A troop guide is an older scout who helps new scouts learn the “Boy Scout way” of doing things, which is much different from the “Cub Scout way” of doing things.
Any older Scout who is good with younger members of the troop is a good candidate for Troop Guide. If you have a den crossing over to your troop, then a very natural thing is to let the Boy Scout who was their Den Chief when they were Cub Scouts become their Troop Guide.
The description and requirements below are an example. Adjust them as necessary to meet the needs of your troop. The printable copy also includes a self evaluation form for the position.
The Troop Guide introduces new scouts to troop operations and helps them feel comfortable in the troop.
- Appointed by Senior Patrol Leader with Scoutmaster approval
- First Class Rank or higher
- May not serve three consecutive terms
Reports to: The Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scouts Trained By: The Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scouts with the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Troop Guide duties:
- Help new scouts earn advancement requirements through First Class.
- Attend Patrol Leaders Council (PLC) to present plan for upcoming skill instruction. Attendance expectation 80%
- Arrive 5 minutes before the start of troop meetings.
- Prevent harassment of new scouts by older scouts.
- Help older scouts teach skills to new scouts with the guidance of the Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scouts.
- Train the Patrol Leader and Assistant Patrol Leader of the New Scout Patrol.
- Guide new scouts through early troop experiences to help them become comfortable in the troop and the outdoors.
- Teach basic scout skills.
- Participate in outings. Attendance expectation 65%
- Attend troop meetings. Attendance expectation 80%
- Set a good example.
- Wear the field uniform (class A) correctly to all regular troop meetings and religious services.
- Wear the activity uniform (class B t-shirt) to all outings and other troop activities.
- Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Show Scout spirit.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?